Desktop Seed Proposal: d4x

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Thu Nov 18 10:54:25 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 09:16:24PM +0200, Alexey Molchanov wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 at 11:54:28 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > So I am not an Ubuntu Developer, but IMHO a download GUI should not be
> > introduced to the desktop seed unless it has been introduced to GNOME
> > proper.
>
> Maybe you are right but I'd like to hear something more official from
> Ubuntu decision makers like Jeff or Matt.

Sure.

> What exactly do you mean by proper introduction to GNOME?
> Is Firefox properly introduced? (just an example)

No, but I am not going to open *that* can of worms again...

> > There is already some downloading support normal users can/should be
> > able to live with in Epiphany (and Firefox, probably).
>
> I can not say anything about downloading support in Epiphany because I
> don't use it, but I can about Firefox. Firefox often can't resume
> download after connection breakage and it don't support cross session
> resumable downloads at all (you can't add download to the queue, download
> half of the file, shutdown Firefox, start Firefox again and resume
> downloading this file).
> This is a know bug in Firefox and if you desire I can give you links to
> appropriate entries in mozilla's bugzilla. :) Do you still think that
> such downloading "support" is enough for normal users?

IMHO, it depends whether this is a known bug or a known 'wontfix' bug
report. If this issue is going to be adressed in Firefox in the near
future, there should be no need for shipping an explicit download
manager with the desktop. It just breaks the GNOME paradigms. (Again,
it's another matter for SupportedSeed and totally my personal opinion
anyway)

Michael

--
<marcus> antrik: the correct way would be to allocate the memory in the
        upper layer, and only initialize the header with a downcall