Jave (Re: Since ubuntu is pushing python, a good python IDE should be available)

Fábio Mendes niels_bohr at uol.com.br
Tue Nov 9 09:33:54 CST 2004

[...]
> Ah, of course. Thank you for your kind explanation.
>
> That'd create a situation where Universe is a repository of
> 1)	free software packages, that are unsupported.
> 2)	proprietary packages (that are, of course, unsupported as well).
>
> (which is already the case as binary drivers are in Universe).
>
> Then I'd like to raise the question:
> 	* Wouldn't it be good to have those seperated? *
> 	(like debian main versus non-free)
> At least for the RMS's it would be! Although I myself am not bearded, I
> think it'd be the right way. The drawback of course is a third
> repository. Secondly, as Eclipse (for example) would be in Universe
> anyhow, it then depends on software in another repository (non-free
> java)... Which MIGHT be solved with yet another repository, like
> Debian's "Restricted", but maybe that'd get out of hand.

I think this is more a development issue than a end-user one. If ubuntu
favors free software over proprietary it's good thing to have both
clearly separated and as Canonical can't possibly support all debian
packages it's also good to separate them and leave a clear notice: "It's
UNSUPPORTED software, we take no responsabilty over them and we'll not
try to fix bugs if they're found. It's based on the respectable debian,
so you're not in a no man's land either." The guys at Canonnical should
know better if this design is a development burden or not, my guess is
it's not as they kept debian's model.

> The only issue with these repositories is the lack of understanding that
> I think lots of users have. But that 'problem' (if classified as such)
> can be addressed by more user-friendly adaptation of synaptic (easier
> default-repository selection) regardless of number of repositories (2 or 3).

Good point. I wonder if a question time would be the case: "Do you want
to use software from universe (and non-free)? (I know, I know, we don't
want those kind of questions and it's probably best addressed on
documentation anyway).

Cheers,
Fabio