Jave (Re: Since ubuntu is pushing python, a good python IDE should be available)

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Nov 9 08:09:32 CST 2004

Fábio Mendes wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> Does this mean there can be relaxations for this policy if Sun
>>> allows Ubuntu to ship java?
>>
>> The two issues are independent:
>>
>> - Our ability to redistribute software (at all) is governed by the
>>  license terms provided by the copyright holder.
>>
>> - The criteria which determine the categorization of software
>> within Ubuntu are documented in our license policy:
>

> So even if we came in agreement with sun that ubuntu can redistribute
>  java it won't go into main (neither DesktopSeed). The licencing
> don't necessaryly apply for packages in universe, so we could put
> java there couldn't we?

Ah, of course. Thank you for your kind explanation.

That'd create a situation where Universe is a repository of
1)	free software packages, that are unsupported.
2)	proprietary packages (that are, of course, unsupported as well).

(which is already the case as binary drivers are in Universe).

Then I'd like to raise the question:
	* Wouldn't it be good to have those seperated? *
	(like debian main versus non-free)

At least for the RMS's it would be! Although I myself am not bearded, I
think it'd be the right way. The drawback of course is a third
repository. Secondly, as Eclipse (for example) would be in Universe
anyhow, it then depends on software in another repository (non-free
java)... Which MIGHT be solved with yet another repository, like
Debian's "Restricted", but maybe that'd get out of hand.

The only issue with these repositories is the lack of understanding that
I think lots of users have. But that 'problem' (if classified as such)
can be addressed by more user-friendly adaptation of synaptic (easier
default-repository selection) regardless of number of repositories (2 or 3).

Thanks in advance for considerations.

Eric Feliksik

< *removed*: lots of stuff from Fabio, some interesting questions >