Set up an antique machine for testing

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 19:27:54 UTC 2022

On 11/01/22 01:39, stefanor at ubuntu.com wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey (2022.01.11_00:25:50_+0000)
>> I want to install a Ubuntu Server from that era. Hardy/8.04 was
>> contemporary around that time. I found the ISO at
>> https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/. I doubt there are any Hardy
>> mirrors out there nowadays.
> There is at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
>
>> Apt wants to update its index files which is pointless for this setup.
>> It results in an error that stops subsequent install operations.
>>
>> My question is, how do I get 'apt-get install' to work in this case?
> Update your APT sources to point at old-releases.ubuntu.com, then you
> can apt install anything you want.
>
> On less ancient releases you may need to also tell apt to disable
> Check-Valid-Until.
>
> SR
Obviously, when the repositories are not found, the system itself should
point them to old-releases.ubuntu.com automatically to save many "that
Ubuntu doesn't work" shouting and discussions like this.
Furthermore, Ubuntu should implement a local repository.
It's a real pain that application software releases have to match the
system's one.
An Ubuntu user was amazed that old Windows applications still run in a
DOS emulator.
When installing 20.04, my nice Radioplayer disappeared almost silently.
It was a matter of one dependency having been removed.
I picked it in the previous release, put it in my local repository and
the clamor turned to "Ubuntu works again".

A+