Set up an antique machine for testing

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 01:31:44 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 8:27 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 7:40 PM <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jeffrey (2022.01.11_00:25:50_+0000)
> > > I want to install a Ubuntu Server from that era. Hardy/8.04 was
> > > contemporary around that time. I found the ISO at
> > > https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/. I doubt there are any Hardy
> > > mirrors out there nowadays.
> >
> > There is at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
> >
> > > Apt wants to update its index files which is pointless for this setup.
> > > It results in an error that stops subsequent install operations.
> > >
> > > My question is, how do I get 'apt-get install' to work in this case?
> >
> > Update your APT sources to point at old-releases.ubuntu.com, then you
> > can apt install anything you want.
> >
> > On less ancient releases you may need to also tell apt to disable
> > Check-Valid-Until.
>
> Thanks Stefano. That worked out perfectly. I was not aware
> old-releases.ubuntu.com was the mirror that would allow 'apt-get
> install' to work.

In case anyone is interested... I have a GitHub that allows us to
install modern cURL, Wget, Git, SSH, etc. It is a hack and piss-poor
excuse for a package manager, but it works great on this old stuff to
get modern tools. The rub is, we need autotools, a compiler, and a few
other tools to get started. You can find it here:
https://github.com/noloader/Build-Scripts.

Jeff