Dependencies of ubuntu-desktop

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 18 01:58:22 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 21:23, Andrei Rybak <rybak.a.v at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like to use apt and aptitude for my Ubuntu installation. I was
> surprised to find out today, that the packages ubuntu-desktop and
> ubuntu-desktop-minimal do _not_ depend on the package ubuntu-minimal.
> Description of the package ubuntu-minimal claims:

ubuntu-minimal is a very small subset of Ubuntu Project that is shared
across all our chroots, containers, builder chroots. All packages in
ubuntu-minimal are Priority important and are always present and
installed on any of our flavours.

ubuntu-minimal by itself cannot boot. It does not ship either
bootloader, kernel, or systemd. It can only be used as a chroot
really. It does however ensure that one can download, authenticate,
and install updates.

> >  This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu minimal system,
> >  that is a functional command-line system with the following capabilities:
> >  .
> >   - Boot
> >   - Detect hardware
> >   - Connect to a network
> >   - Install packages
> >   - Perform basic diagnostics
> >  .
> >  It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that
> >  it not be removed.
>
> Could someone please clarify why don't the packages ubuntu-desktop and
> ubuntu-desktop-minimal depend on ubuntu-minimal?  Or, in more general
> terms, what are the packages required for the "Truly Minimal"™ desktop
> installation of Ubuntu?  Would Ubuntu boot to desktop if I remove
> ubuntu-minimal, but keep ubuntu-desktop-minimal?

Removing ubuntu-minimal is not advised.

Your system will no longer be able to authenticate and install any
package updates as that's the seed that pulls in ubuntu-keyring and
apt, among other things.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.