Dependencies of ubuntu-desktop

Andrei Rybak rybak.a.v at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:16:20 UTC 2020

Hello,

I like to use apt and aptitude for my Ubuntu installation. I was
surprised to find out today, that the packages ubuntu-desktop and
ubuntu-desktop-minimal do _not_ depend on the package ubuntu-minimal.
Description of the package ubuntu-minimal claims:

>  This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu minimal system,
>  that is a functional command-line system with the following capabilities:
>  .
>   - Boot
>   - Detect hardware
>   - Connect to a network
>   - Install packages
>   - Perform basic diagnostics
>  .
>  It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that
>  it not be removed.

Could someone please clarify why don't the packages ubuntu-desktop and
ubuntu-desktop-minimal depend on ubuntu-minimal?  Or, in more general
terms, what are the packages required for the "Truly Minimal"™ desktop
installation of Ubuntu?  Would Ubuntu boot to desktop if I remove
ubuntu-minimal, but keep ubuntu-desktop-minimal?

--
Best regards, Andrei R.