Requesting Pixel desktop on ubuntu, LXQT is totally bad!

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 20 20:56:13 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-19 04:52, Edney Helenedossantos wrote:
> pixel desktop does have its version
> to pc so no adaptation is needed!

Still, that misses every other point I made. That was one— and the
smallest— of many issues.

> LXQT will only be my main driver when it finally starts to work with
> hidpi monitors

I'm sure you know the work is already happening on this and is
considered a release blocker, but if not:
https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/1549

> on my machine it uses
> almost the same memory as xfce, so why would anyone use it?

This is not the case with the tests that I have done/seen. Perhaps
you're not comparing systems that are entirely equivalent except for the
desktop environment. I have in fact seen LXQt using roughly the same
amount of memory as LXDE.

And besides, as I said, the issue with GTK is that when it was attempted
to try to port LXDE over to GTK3, it was found to use more memory than
if it was ported to Qt. It's not reasonable to imagine that LXDE can
continue forever on GTK2. Therefore, a comparison of LXDE and LXQt is
not really a fair one.

> maybe if you replace openbox with something
> like kwin by default

You can easily do that. I always replace window managers with awesome,
personally.
--
       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D