It is time to use MATE DE as default desktop on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Nrbrtx nrbrtx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 11:17:54 UTC 2017

Dear Ubuntu users and developers!

I just installed the newest Ubuntu 17.10 with a new version of GNOME Shell,
pretending to be Unity.
This release is very important, because it determines the future of the
next LTS version - 18.04.

I want to share my impressions on 17.10. In short, it's a total nightmare.

Why can not I change the behaviour of the window (<Alt+Space>, <t> for
fixing it Always on top or <m> to maximize it) with the standard shortcut?
This functionality has existed for years. To whom did she interfere? (see
bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1725706 ).

Why do we need this new-fashioned Shell? Why can not programs be
categorized as they were before?
You can see GNOME FlashBack and MATE DE as good examples.

GNOME Shell does not improve productivity at all. Even Unity was more
convenient.
How do I explain to a person by phone what he should do to run a program?
How can I find the program in this menu, if I do not know exactly its name
and keywords on which it can be found? GNOME Shell can't speedup this
process.

Why are the icons in the new system tray so small? (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1263228 ).

Why are the Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth and VPN status icons hidden by
default? Horizontal space on modern monitors is wide enough. Why do I need
an additional "Select network" step when connecting to Wi-Fi? Why can not I
connect to the network selected in this window by double-clicking? Why do I
need to see entire desktop shaded the when entering the network key? Behind
shade, user can hardly see the current keyboard layout. Where did the check
mark for showing entered symbols?
Why network indicator with a question mark is displayed in the tray on
normal Wi-Fi connection (sites in the browser open normally, ping works)?

Why is switching windows to <Alt+Tab> so slow? If I opened two terminals,
why can not I see them at once? This system for work or for what?

Why does the terminal open its new instances by default in a new window?
Why not in the tab?
Who removed the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl+Shift+t> to create a new tab? (see
bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1725938 ).
Why can not I rename the title of the terminal or its tabs? (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1448511 )

What should I do for quick connection to the server, for example via FTP,
SMB or SSH? Where is the equivalent "Places -> Connect to server"? This is
a frequently used function.

Why does the installer select the <Alt+Shift> keyboard layout switch when
selecting two languages ​​during installation (for example, English and
Russian or English and Greek), although you say everywhere that the
standard is <Super+Space>? (see bugs https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/200029
, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1242572 ).
Why did you allow interference in Firefox with <Alt+Shift> (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1712200 ).
I'm happy with <Alt+Shift>, but it should not interfere with Firefox.

Why can not I use the keyboard shortcut <Ctrl+Shift> to switch the keyboard
layout?
Why it creates other interference (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1245473 ).

Why can not I right click to change the properties of the Gedit editor
window, and instead the window just minimizes? (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1725708 ).

Why all local disks are hidden in the Nautilus?
Why do I need the "Other locations" button to view all logical drives of
this computer?
Why can not I create a new blank document from the drop-down menu (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1437502 ).

Why can not I run graphics applications that require root privileges for
years to function properly under the Wayland default session?
I do not need such security, I need to work.
(see bugs https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1713313 ,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1713311 and fresh discussion on AskUbuntu -
https://askubuntu.com/q/961967/66509 ).

As a result, I can conclude the following: a modern desktop GNOME, not
intended for real work.
I understand that GNOME developers are probably inspired by Apple's macOS
interfaces. But macOS is productive and functional.
Perhaps GNOME developers are looking at macOS interfaces under the hipster
dope of stupid innovation without taking into account the experience of
past generations.

Modern KDE is good, but overloaded with settings, like the good old KDE
3.5. Modern Xfce is not functional enough.
Using GNOME Classic and GNOME FlashBack will not help much, because it does
not change the look and functionality of standard GNOME applications.

Therefore, I seriously suggest to consider the possibility of using the
MATE DE by default in the version of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Desktop. You can even
include its dock by default using the Mutiny template.

I recommend to conduct a survey of users indicating their roles (home user
or professional user) to select the default desktop environment.

Please think about it.

With regards,
Norbert.