Make main directories accessible using English names in the terminal on a Chinese localized UI

Tong Sun lubuys.xpt at spamgourmet.com
Sat May 14 16:51:05 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> So even if they would appear in Chinese, you'd be able to cd them using
> their original English names? Doesn't sound as a high priority feature
> to me. Why not just use the English names throughout?

Quite agree.

I also don't like the main directories (Documents, Downloads, etc…)  in
Chinese, so I simply delete them all and recreate them in English (or
rename them).

If you have to keep them, then symlink is the way to go. That's what I do
too.

BTW, even without sym-linking, I don't need to type them in Chinese when I
want to 'cd' into those directories in the terminal, because I'll just do a
`ls`, then copy-paste the Chinese using mouse.

All those being said, I do agree that, if those "automatic" directories
(Documents, Downloads, etc…) , which are created automatically at some
point, would better be just in English. Creating them in other langues only
**looks good** but will do more harm than good.

BTW, I personally don't think the OS X way is consistent at all, because
personally I don't like dark magic.