PowerDNS 4.0 and Xenial

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Fri Feb 5 14:25:18 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Just before Christmas, we released alpha1 of both the PowerDNS Authoritative Server and the PowerDNS Recursor[1]. These have been packaged by Debian and uploaded to their unstable branch. Both pieces of software have several known issues (like forward-zones leading to process termination in the Recursor[2] or a temporary database error crashing the Authoritative Server[3]) that are fixed in the current master branch.

We intend to release an alpha2 for both before the Xenial Debian Import Freeze on February 18th, but don't know how fast Debian will have this packaged and if it will land in Xenial.

We believe that the alpha1 packages cannot be released with an Ubuntu LTS (or any Ubuntu release for that matter) because of the stability issues noted above (not to mention the amount of bug reports these packages might produce). We have 2 ideas on how this can be fixed.

The first one is: revert to using 3.4.8 (Authoritative Server) and 3.7.3 (Recursor), this is possibly the easiest thing to do, although it breaks the upgrade for current Xenial users/testers (which is a small price to pay).

The second one is to start the procedure to have a Freeze Exception[4] for the source packages `pdns` and `pdns-recursor`, allowing the upgrade from alpha1 to alpha2 to beta and to final release, after which the normal Ubuntu update policy will be in effect (security and critical bug fixes only).

We would like to know your opinion in this matter.

Best regards,

Pieter Lexis

1 - http://blog.powerdns.com/2015/12/24/technical-preview-releases-of-authoritative-server-recursor-and-dnsdist/
2 - https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/3244