Issues with recent security updates?

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Thu Jun 4 05:09:58 UTC 2015

On Sunday I did a dselect update to pull in the current
security updates for trusty LTS.

I rebooted Monday morning and found that my desktop
had been massively modified with no warning.

	* My bottom bar disappeared
	* Places disappeared from the top bar
	* Buttons on windows changed such that there was
	  only a delete button
	* With the bottom bar gone, I lost my usual desktop
	  selector.

There may be other things but those are the primary ones. I
certainly did not expect any such change in an LTS. Is there
any way I can either back out these changes or repair the
damage? The unexpected and unwanted UI change is driving me
nuts and having significant impacts on my work productivity.

Help!