equivalent of chkconfig

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 17 18:26:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:37:04 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>i havent called anything transparent, you have called "the boot process
>a mess" and pointed to pointless proof

I was speaking about transparency and I called the absence of
transparency a mess. Your claim is, that it isn't a mess, so the
conclusion in this context is, that you claim it's transparent, clear.

Please quote me were I mentioned the boot process. I could say
something about the boot process, but this would be more
off-topic. One keyword could be "race conditions", another keyword
perhaps "documentation".

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 18:22:52 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>as i understand it the introduction of systemctl was to overcome the
>fragmentation of managing services in different distros so that you
>dont have a debian way, and ubuntu way or a fedora way (i.e. chkconfig)
>anymore.

There is the filesystem hierarchy standard, but within this standard
Linux distros differ a lot. It's more important to know were the files
are, instead of having one command. As long as the files are human
readable files, dash or bash scripts and we know the locations, it's
not so hard to use different distros with different init systems.
Mixing systemd with init scripts, the issue with the locations
increases.

Btw. one of the few good features of systemd is systemd-nspawn, but
unfortunately I noticed that this sometimes fails.