equivalent of chkconfig

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 17 16:37:04 UTC 2015

Am Montag, den 17.08.2015, 18:13 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:32:42 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >unfounded FUD
>
> What next?
>
> Actually everything I pointed out is correct, it's not unfounded FUD.
> Even you mentioned that not all services are ported over.

neither the organization of packaging nor the fact that sysvinit
compatibility is enabled has any influence on the boot *process*

and these are the two things you pointed out and accused to make the
boot *process* a mess ...

the boot process is not influenced at all by packaging, nor is managing
the sysvinit compatibility services via systemctl in any way influenced
by the compatibility layer, i still fail to see any prof that the boot
process of ubuntu is in any way messy.

> It's not that hard for me to make a profound comparison between an Arch
> Linux install, that finished the transition 3 years ago and follows
> systemd from upstream and an Ubuntu Wily install, since they are running
> on the same machine and I'm using an upstream systemd with all services
> ported.
so why werent all these systemd units pushed upstream for all 5000-10000
packages that exist out there and require any kind of service start
scripts ? if they were, they could just be easily re-used by debian from
their upstream sources.

> You actually don't know what you are talking about, if you call Ubuntus
> systemd implementation transparent. It's a mess, the transition is
> _not_ finished, init related files are spread over different locations.

i havent called anything transparent, you have called "the boot process
a mess" and pointed to pointless proof ... neither is the process a mess
nor is the proof you pointed to any proof for the process being a mess.
the process is identical to any other systemd distro out there, as is
the maintaining of the process via systemctl ...

you might not like the setup, the package arrangements or anything here,
or that an upstart pacckage exists in the archive (note there is a
sysv-init package too) but that has no influence on the boot *process*,
which is not different to any other systemd distro out there.

ciao
	oli