Window Controls on the Right Side

Jan Rathmann KaiserClaudius at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 10:06:16 UTC 2015

Am 30.04.2015 um 02:32 schrieb Clint Byrum:
> Excerpts from Martinx - ジェームズ's message of 2015-04-28 21:40:11 -0700:
>> On 28 April 2015 at 20:56, Mark Faine <mark.faine at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can understand if Ubuntu wants to be backward and contrary and default
>>> the window controls to the wrong side for new installations, but why must
>>> they force the issue.  From what I understand it is very difficult, to the
>>> point of being impractical, to move them to the right side, due to
>>> decisions that were made specifically to prevent it.  I don't understand
>>> this kind of thinking.  Please give me the ability to put my window
>>> controls on the correct (right) side.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> I am very happy with window controls on the correct (left) side.   :-P
>>
>> It is close to the App's Menus (I don't need to travel the entire screen to
>> hit those buttons) and Unity left panel.
>>
>> If I'm not wrong, with Ubuntu Teak Tools, you can do that, with Ubuntu
>> Gnome, you can do that, for sure.
>
> The entire reason for them being on the left is to make the top-right
> of the screen consequence free for a single click. This is to encourage
> the user to dig into the indicators and to help developers inform users
> easily in a uniform way.
>
> Hate on it all you want, this is safer for new users, and it's almost
> a perfect copy of one of the things that is actually good about OS X.
>
> I've grown accustomed now, and I prefer it this way. :)

I also liked the decision that the window buttons moved to the left side
by default. Before that time, I prefered closing windows by
double-clicking on their window-menu-button (which was always on the
left side), like you did it in Windows 3.11. And thus moving the window
buttons became handy for me regarding this habit. Btw., I have never
used a Mac.

My two cents ;-)

Kind regards,
Jan