Ubuntu phone feedback

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:27:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Nikita <veshchikov.nikita at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a couple of week ago I received my Ubuntu phone, I've been using it
> since and I must say I am pretty happy
> with it. I would like to give you some feedback with my comments that
> you might be interested in
> and that I hope would be helpful in the further software development.
>

>  - Keyboard
>
> First of all, one thing that I would really find very helpful is a
> language indicator for a keyboard.
> I frequently use 3 languages and two of them use Latin alphabet, but I
> can not use the same keyboard with both
> (because a keyboard is also linked to the auto-correction /
> spell-checker), so here is the problem:
> when I want to write a new message and I see a Latin keyboard I do not
> know which language it is..
> in order to find out which one it is I have to press on the language
> choice button and check whether it is the one I need.
> It would be nice to have a current language indicator on the keyboard.
> It might be placed on the space button
> or the language abbreviation might just replace the icon on the keyboard
> layout button (now it's a small circle with a couple of lines).

I suppose you have something like this in mind for the globe,
https://i.imgur.com/3468iBV.png
https://i.imgur.com/x3CAvpm.png

I have three layouts as well. What I find nice, is that by default it
switches among
the two most recent layouts. If I need the third layout, I select it and
then it switches
between the previously most recent and the newly selected layout.

I did not manage to find an existing bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-keyboard for this.

> - - Contact search / messaging
>
> I've noticed something weird (I am not sure if it should be in a bug
> report)
> in the feature that shows me contacts when I want to write an sms.
> When I start typing a name of the contact that I want to send an sms to
> it works fine
> (i.e. shows suggestions with similar names) only for contacts with Latin
> names.
> If a name of a contact is written in a different language (character
> set, Cyrilic in my case)
> the contact does not appear in the short list of suggestions and I can
> not just click on it
> (like in case of a contact who's name is written in Latin alphabet), so
> the only way of choosing it is to scroll down through all contacts.

I get that as well. It happens when you are about to choose a contact from
the Contacts list
(either Phone or Messaging, probably wherever a contact is needed).

That should be in https://bugs.launchpad.net/address-book-app
I think the relevant bug report is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/address-book-app/+bug/1421245
and it can be adapted to mention "non-Latin" filters.

Here are two relevant reports,
"Contact search doesn't match accented names"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/address-book-app/+bug/1367906

"Bad sorting when characters are accented"
https://bugs.launchpad.net/address-book-app/+bug/1440065

Perhaps use "QString::localeAwareCompare" in both cases?

Simos