[Ubuntu-phone] Feedback and Bug App

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 08:22:39 UTC 2014

On 12/17/14 12:17 AM, Robert Schroll wrote:
> Let me play devil's advocate here.  This isn't because I think it's a
> bad idea (I think we need more feedback, in general), but because I
> think this proposal needs a bit of tightening to give us a worthwhile
> product.
>
> Firstly, I don't see anything here that requires an app.  All of this
> could be done on a website.  Once you have a website, you can make a
> webapp for Ubuntu very easily.  If there's a reason this has to be an
> app, that should be clarified.
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Alexander Langanke
> <alexlanganke at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> This would be a Blog updated (for example) once or twice a month
>> announcing the most important changes that have landed so far in
>> order to draw attention to them and encourage feedback on these
>> topics. Of course this could also be used to just keep the community
>> informed in general. I would love to see the different teams updating
>> here regularly. For example I have read about an upcoming Blog for
>> Unity that is to be created in the near future, would love to get
>> updates on Unity Next, the Phone, Ubuntu TV etc. without checking
>> different sites.
>
> I'm confused about what exactly would appear on this blog.  If it's
> only updated once every two weeks, it's not going to be go-to reading
> for anyone.  I'd wait for these posts to be syndicated on Planet
> Ubuntu.  If it's supposed to be aggregating a bunch of blogs, isn't
> that what Planet Ubuntu is already doing?
>
>> 2. Missions
>> This is a place where Core Developers and perhaps any other developer
>> (not sure on that yet) can post small things they specifically want
>> users to check out, test and give feedback on.
>> Here we are looking for Feedback in terms of "quality" and not
>> "quantity".
>> See Mockup Image.
>>
>> 3. Polls
>> A place where we can gather feedback in a quantifiable sense. How
>> many people like the new iconsets? How many people think Unity Next
>> should have Windows on the Desktop etc. You get the picture..
>> See Mockup Image.
>
> The Ubuntu App Developers community on Google+ is already used for
> this purpose.  What does this offer that Google+ does not?
>
> I'm also skeptical of the usefulness of polls with self-selected
> respondents.  They tend to tell you only what people who feel strongly
> about an issue think, which may not be the same as what most people
> think.
>
>> 4. General Feedback
>> Here a User can select different official Ubuntu Flavors, Topics and
>> Packages/Projects to give feedback on or send in an Idea without the
>> need of a "Mission" or "Poll".
>
> Why would this work any better than the now-defunct Ubuntu Brainstorm
> site?
>
> Where would this information go?  As a developer, I rather have bugs
> and feature requests on my issue tracker, rather than on some external
> [...]
At the risk of sounding ill informed, I'll also ask, does Ubuntu-phone
not have a version of "full sized" Ubuntu error reporting?
When my desktop and server Ubuntu computers experience a crashed
program, I typically get a dialog box asking if I want to report the
issue to Ubuntu. On most of my machines, I do, on isolated or sensitive
machines, I cannot.
So, if that error reporting is already present, wouldn't this largely be
re-inventing a wheel?

As for bug reporting, I'd think that waiting for a consolidated site is
established and web-app to the site. Let the big iron do the heavy
lifting and use the phone more like a thin client.