[Ubuntu-phone] Feedback and Bug App

Sam Bull sam.hacking at sent.com
Wed Dec 17 13:07:39 UTC 2014

On mer, 2014-12-17 at 00:17 -0500, Robert Schroll wrote:
> Firstly, I don't see anything here that requires an app.  All of this
> could be done on a website.  Once you have a website, you can make a
> webapp for Ubuntu very easily.

I would agree with that.

What I would like to see is reporting issues to the developers made
trivial. At the moment, if I want to report a bug, I wait till I get
home and then access Launchpad from my laptop to file a bug (sometimes
days or weeks later, if I remember at all).

There are two issues I can initially think of that could be solved by an
app.

Firstly, I should be able to immediately report a bug without having to
navigate to Launchpad and have to work out my login details.
	I believe you login to Launchpad with an Ubuntu One account, therefore
this can be easily solved with a webapp using UOA and skipping the login
screen.

Secondly, there are a large number of different projects/components and
most users have no idea what component to register a bug against.

There are various approaches that might help solve this. Firstly, having
a list of projects which are associated with the phone, and ensuring
every project has a one line description that clearly explains to an end
user what the component does would be a good start.

The app could then also be augmented to allow selecting an app on the
phone, or clicking a component on the screen to suggest possible
projects that may be responsible.

Another idea is some kind of natural language/machine learning algorithm
which parses the bug report and suggests which components may be
responsible for the issue.