Aptitude installed by default on 13.10?

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 18:44:38 UTC 2013

On 9 April 2013 19:25, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net> wrote:

> On 9 April 2013 13:13, J Fernyhough <j.fernyhough at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just from my own humble experience, there have been numerous times when
> > aptitude has been able to resolve a package situation that apt-get would
> > simply refuse to entertain; apt-get would just say it couldn't do
> anything
> > and exit. While on the one hand this behaviour prevents me from breaking
> the
> > system, if the system does get into a state where further package
> > installation is impossible then I can't get out of it. If aptitude wasn't
> > already installed at that point I wouldn't be able to install it unless I
> > remove the broken package - and as we all know this can result in a lot
> of
> > other dependencies being uninstalled. I can see the goal of preventing
> the
> > system from getting into such a state (e.g. by focussing on installation
> > only from the Software Centre), but if I download Skype or Steam from
> their
> > respective websites, and follow their installation instructions, it's
> easy
> > to imagine such a situation occurring.
>
> How recently have you had these dependency problems? You don't have
> raring-proposed enabled, do you? (The -proposed repositories for
> Ubuntu series' that haven't been released is strongly not recommended
> for people to use because of temporary dependency problems and other
> issues.) You shouldn't be having dependency problems with the regular
> Ubuntu archives and I believe it's a priority bug if you find an issue
> like that.
>
> Jeremy

Fairly recently, but I'm probably not a typical Ubuntu user any more.  I
run U+1 as a "rolling" release from a minimal CLI base (mini.iso), so my
dependency problems could be caused by -proposed, PPAs (Rico's GNOME3
testing, for example), and third-party packages (e.g. AMDs fglrx). If it
was happening in an LTS or normal release I'd be reporting bugs, but for a
couple of years I haven't been able to do that without fear of reporting
something spurious.