Ubuntu for Android

James Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 00:25:35 UTC 2012

Hey, am I missing something?! Today I was told by someone who doesn't use
Linux and doesn't have an Android phone that Ubuntu for Android has been
released for the Nexus 7!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any news, but I haven't seen anything to
back this up. The only thing I've noticed is that
http://<http://ubuntu.com/devices/android>
ubuntu.com <http://ubuntu.com/devices/android>/devices/android<http://ubuntu.com/devices/android>now
has this new video:

http:// <http://youtu.be/iv1Z7bf4jXY>youtu.be <http://youtu.be/iv1Z7bf4jXY>
/iv1Z7bf4jXY <http://youtu.be/iv1Z7bf4jXY>

"...So, get a phone with Ubuntu for Android, and start living a life less
complicated."

Err. Where from? And does this mean that some source code has been released
somewhere? I can't find anything, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I currently have Ubuntu running on a tablet, but I haven't found a way to
get OpenGL hardware acceleration to work (it currently uses VNC into
itself). I've looked at VMGL, but it can't work because it needs full
OpenGL rather than OpenGLES (see
https://<https://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be>
groups.google.com<https://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be>
/group/android-porting/<https://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be>
browse_thread<https://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be>
/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be<https://groups.google.com/group/android-porting/browse_thread/thread/d9a7b29f3bfde6be>).
The reverse looks more likely though (see
https://<https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6816>
code.google.com <https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6816>
/p/android/issues/detail?<https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6816>
id <https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6816>=6816<https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6816>),
so maybe Ubuntu could take control of the hardware acceleration as OpenGL
and expose this back to Android via VMGL.

It is though quite nice that all I have to do is plug in my ThinkPad USB
keyboard and I have a full Ubuntu desktop (albeit slow without OpenGL) with
LibreOffice and my other full Ubuntu desktop applications. However, I'm
eager to know how Ubuntu for Android, as seen in some videos online, is
doing hardware acceleration, and how the Android screen is visible within
an Ubuntu window.

James.