How to install Precise without getting screwed?

Lanoxx lanoxx at gmx.net
Tue Apr 3 10:16:47 UTC 2012

On 03/04/12 10:26, Vernon Cole wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:rodney.dawes at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Ditën e Mon, 02/04/2012 më 13.57 -0600, Vernon Cole ka shkruar:
>     > So there it is.  All we want is all the new stuff -- along with
>     > everything we had before.  Is that too much to ask?
>
>     There is nothing preventing you from installing and using the classic
>     gnome interface.
>

> I tried that once, and got only old generic gnome stuff. all of the neat
> Ubuntu stuff was missing.  As I said, I am greedy and want both.

More and more applets are being ported to GTK+3 and will be available in
the classic mode of gnome 3. For example with the 12.04 release you can
install the indicator-applet package again, which gives you back all the
nice indicators that ubuntu used to have in gnome 2 in older versions.
Together with the gnome-tweak-tool there is really not much difference
to how gnome 2 used to be.