[Oneiric topic] IPv6

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:08:25 UTC 2011

Hi Erik,

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Erik Andersen <erik.b.andersen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I've run IPv6 on my local network and through a IPv6inIPv4 tunnel for a
> while. Here's what I would bring up if I were at UDS on the subject of IPv6 on
> Ubuntu:

Thanks for bringing up your concerns. If you think of further things,
you should also know that you can participate remotely to UDS:
http://uds.ubuntu.com/participate/remote/

That way, if the schedule suits you, you can react in real time to the
discussions.

> o  One thing I just discovered is that a maverick VM that only has an IPv6 only
>   connection (and even an IPv6 mirror or apt package cache configured) will
>   not detect the natty upgrade through the update manager. If you run
[...]

I think this ties in to what Jan was writing previously -- some
mirrors are ready, but not all of them.

[...]
> o  Also, it would be nice to have support for DHCPv6 by default without
>   installing and configuring dibbler-client. As far as I can tell, ubuntu
>   doesn't support DHCPv6 out of the box (Disclaimer: I only had a
[...]

Yup, this will work in Natty; we ship ISC-DHCP 4 which comes with IPv6
support in dhclient.

> o  Network Manager has no settings tab for IPv6 on PPPoe connections. I'm not
>   sure if there's any standards for IPv6 over PPPoe yet.

AFAICT it's not yet supported (either in PPPoE itself or the work
hasn't been done in NM yet; see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/commit/?id=a4ab74d9038c073c0d998658cd480191c519fa67).

> o  Implementing a checkbox in NM for IPv6 Privacy addresses got postponed. Is
>   that a goal for Oneiric, or is it currently postponed indefinitely? [0]

I'd like to do it; I haven't really thought of it as a goal though, in
Natty it was mostly a "if I can take time to implement it". Since I
guess it's probably not too complicated to implement, I'll put this in
as a tentative work item for the IPv6 blueprint.

[...]
> o  Maybe UFW should be IPv6 enabled by default?

That's something else that should be kept in mind for the dicussion at
UDS, so I'll add it to the blueprint for discussion and review (in
case it already works).

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93