Chromium vs Firefox?

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:41:05 UTC 2011

On 05/01/2011 01:28 PM, Jason Todd wrote:
> Chromium/Chrome has a lot of problems that Firefox doesn't have.
>
> The only substantial advantages that Chromium/Chrome has is its
> multi-process design (stability), it starts faster, and its nifty
> method of showing downloads at the bottom of the browser window. And
> when Firefox gets Electrolysis implemented the stability advantage of
> Chrome will be eliminated.

I like its smart form filling stuff too, but that's me.  (If I start
typing my name, it'll give me options to pick sets of data I filled
before, and try to fill in the whole form for me based on what I entered
in other, completely different forms)

> Here are some of the problems I have with Chrome/Chromium:
> -lacks NoScript functionality
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=54257

Not standard in Ubuntu, if you want that you can install Firefox.
Already stated.

Also:  Chromium does not have $FAVORITE_FIREFOX_EXTENSION WHY IS THERE
NO BRIEF FOR CHROMIUM!?!?
> -cannot handle MMS URL streams
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=47154
No comment (don't care about this)
> -can't close single window via keyboard
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=80424#c0

I just tried CTRL+N, CTRL+T, creates multiple tabs in new window.
CTRL+W closes a separate tab, until you run out of tabs and close the
window; ALT+F4 just drops the whole window.  Your argument is invalid.

> -Private/Incognito does not apply to all windows
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=79689#c0

I thought these were supposed to apply to individual tabs?  I don't know
about Incognito mode so I won't comment.

> -cursor functions fail when gtkrc 2.0 tooltips are turned off
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=77821#c0
> -can't cycle thru dropdown list with TAB key
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=77607#c0
> -the dropdown list does not list bookmark occurrences as thoroughly as
> Firefox does (I can explain more thoroughly if needed)
> -it is not possible to place a dropdown Bookmarks Button on the URL
> bar (users are forced to use crappy 3rd party options)
I have no clue about these things
> -inability to customize/move Button placements on the URL bar
Customization of the UI indicates to me that you are not used to the UI
being given you, thus it is not your favorite program, thus you will
probably want to install Opera instead of trying to make Firefox/Chrome
look like Opera.

> -can't reopen closed tabs if in Incognito mode
> -Firefox is faster on many benchmarks
> http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-20047314-12.html

IE is faster on many benchmarks.  There is a whole class of arguments
about benchmarks and why they don't work.  This is why graphics card
reviewers pull out games and look at the FPS:  actual performance often
doesn't correlate to the benchmarks at all.

> -there is no print preview
Hadn't noticed, as I don't own a printer.

Print preview in Firefox ... I haven't used in ages, because it was
always buggy somehow.  Like it would show me 30 pages and print half of
one, and I couldn't understand why (this was on a certain web site that
generated a transcript for a college).  But that's neither here nor there.

> -there is no quick method of reviewing Recent Bookmarks without
> drilling down into windows/menus

I've forgotten what a bookmark is...

> I like Chrome a lot. But it can't compete with Firefox as a fully
> capable and mature browser. It's better as a minimalist occasional use
> browser.

Dunno, I switched away from Firefox because Chromium was far more
stable, faster (UI wise), and faster (rendering-wise).  It handles
JavaScript well (unlike Dillo), it renders properly, and I like its new
tab page over a blank tab.

Firefox 4 has that tab sorting thing, though, which I really wish was in
Chromium.  Well, not really; but I use it when it's there.