Enable debug in Firefox compile

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 24 09:37:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 16:37 -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> Will the relevant persons please ensure that the version(s) of Firefox
> in the Ubuntu system include the debugging ability turned on?  Ie, if ff
> crashes, it comes up with the stack trace, etc, & the notice that this
> info can be sent to Mozilla to help find bugs?
>
> I had to switch to the direct dl from Mozilla version, instead of using
> the Ubuntu version, for this reason.  Their version lacked the useful
> (K)Ubuntu customizations (windowing stuff, IIRC).  But, it _did_ have
> the ability to help track down crashes.
>
> Given all the people trying to crack systems through the browser, it
> only seems prudent to ensure the maximum level of safety in Ubuntu
> software.  This compels the necessity of having debug info available
> _always_, for _all users_, so crashes can be diagnosed, & bugs found &
> fixed.
>
> Failing to turn on debugging in probably one of the most used Ubuntu
> applications (Firefox) just leads to Ubuntu having more bugs & problems.
>
> Thanks.  :)
>

> Where is the proper list to send this message to, in order to get the
> debugging turned on in the Firefox new version (4) for Ubuntu users?
>
> ==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture
> http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/

Hi,

If you're on Lucid, Maverick or Natty, then this has already been on for
many months (and users are sending crash reports directly to Mozilla).
If you're on an older release then, well, there's not much point in
changing this now (Hardy and Karmic are both approaching EOL in a matter
of weeks).

If you're referring to more than just the crash reporter (ie, turning on
other debug features in Firefox), then this is not going to happen in
our builds (and isn't the case for official mozilla.org builds either).
A lot of debugging options have quite a negative performance impact
which make it impossible for us to justify turning on debug features.

Regards
Chris