Replace F-Spot with Solang?

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Sat May 15 16:12:06 UTC 2010

Why was Shotwell chosen over Solang? It seems the only motivation for
shotwell is to try Vala. Solang seems to already be in line with what
we need and want. Is there a link to where this decision was made so
we can see the discussion rather than just an announcement? Some
people think that neither solang or shotwell will be ready in time for
maverick, and as much as i'd love to see F-spot replaced sooner, i
wouldn't want to upset users like what happened with empathy (although
i'm sure it wouldn't be close to that bad). Perhaps this should be
held off until Maverick +1?

Also, there were specific reasons as to why Shotwell isn't ready, but
for Solang it was just, yeah this isn't ready either. What
specifically would you like to see in Solang for it to be considered
ready?