Replace F-Spot with Solang?

Jonathan Blackhall johnny.one.eye at gmail.com
Thu May 20 08:43:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Danny Piccirillo
<danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Why was Shotwell chosen over Solang? It seems the only motivation for
> shotwell is to try Vala. Solang seems to already be in line with what
> we need and want. Is there a link to where this decision was made so
> we can see the discussion rather than just an announcement? Some
> people think that neither solang or shotwell will be ready in time for
> maverick, and as much as i'd love to see F-spot replaced sooner, i
> wouldn't want to upset users like what happened with empathy (although
> i'm sure it wouldn't be close to that bad). Perhaps this should be
> held off until Maverick +1?
>
> Also, there were specific reasons as to why Shotwell isn't ready, but
> for Solang it was just, yeah this isn't ready either. What
> specifically would you like to see in Solang for it to be considered
> ready?
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:42, Laco GubĂ­k <lacogubik at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> According this article [1], Shotwell is replacing F-spot in Maverick.
>> Article says that this was agreed at UDS.

Personally I don't understand what Shotwell gives us over F-spot
besides a better memory footprint.  What Shotwell does lack, however,
is a fairly well rounded Edit functionality.  While F-spot's editing
could use some improvements, it offers a lot of easy-to-use
adjustments such as soft focus, sepia tone, desaturate, etc.  All
Shotwell offers for simple photo editing is an unfriendly group of
sliders to adjust temperature, exposure, tint, etc.  Until Shotwell or
some other organizer gets a more robust and usable editing interface,
I don't see how we can throw out F-spot.

Jonathan