Trouble with 32 bit Gtk app on 64 bit system - no or misleading error msgs

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 00:17:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Thomas Tempelmann <tempelmann at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:26, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
> <dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think an error is needed. Generally on Ubuntu you launch
> > .desktop files of applications installed using Software Centre /
> > Synaptic / apt. All of which are of correct architecture.
>
> I disagree. I think it's important to get your error reporting right,
> because error reporting is mostly for the cases where things are NOT
> normal. Like here, in my particular case. A general attitude of "no
> error handling needed, as it's not happening usually" only leads to
> more and more slips, and hard-to-maintain software eventually.

I agree. If a case should never happen, we still need to handle the
what-if-it-does.
It can't be considered a high priority item, but it should be dealt with.
Maybe a papercut bug?

Anyway. My biggest problem now is that all I get in the Terminal is
> "seg fault" and no other hints telling me where the problem might be
> so that I could fix it, maybe.
>
> Any suggestions how I could debug this

Assuming that ldd isn't missing anything (if that is even possible?) then I
don't have any suggestions beyond printf, but I do hope you get it working.

Cheers,
Evan