Trouble with 32 bit Gtk app on 64 bit system - no or misleading error msgs

Thomas Tempelmann tempelmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 23:40:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:26, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I don't think an error is needed. Generally on Ubuntu you launch
> .desktop files of applications installed using Software Centre /
> Synaptic / apt. All of which are of correct architecture.

I disagree. I think it's important to get your error reporting right,
because error reporting is mostly for the cases where things are NOT
normal. Like here, in my particular case. A general attitude of "no
error handling needed, as it's not happening usually" only leads to
more and more slips, and hard-to-maintain software eventually.

> How come you can't build it on AMD64? Sounds like a bug in that
> software. And do use ldd as suggested in previous mail to find all of
> the missing 32 bit libs needed for your binary.
>
> Is it not free software?

Correct guess. It's a commercial cross-platform dev system that allows
me to write GUI apps for all platforms with easy (much easier than
with Qt).

As my app is freeware, you can try it out for yourself to see the
problem, here: http://apps.tempel.org/iBored/

The app is a disk editor, which can do quite a few things that you
won't find anywhere else, probably. But the user base is so small that
I do not want to put too much effort into making it work for everyone.
E.g, building a fancy installer for Windows is just overkill, IMO.
Still, if I can figure out how to make it work on Ubuntu 64, with a
few extra steps, I'd be happy, and the few users I have as well.

Anyway. My biggest problem now is that all I get in the Terminal is
"seg fault" and no other hints telling me where the problem might be
so that I could fix it, maybe.

Any suggestions how I could debug this?

--
Thomas Tempelmann, http://www.tempel.org/