Question about this list

Ben Gamari bgamari at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 02:42:42 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Amahdy's message of Wed Jan 27 21:19:30 -0500 2010:
> If other developers put sometime to make life easier (and faster) for us.
> There is a user interface, a browser, an email client ..etc, then only
> because I like the keyboard I'll use terminal?? I do like terminal and I use
> it many times to facilate my life through commands, but I said to "facilate"
> because I know the command and I can type it faster than mouse movement, but
> not beause I'm a terminal fan then I must do everything on it.

Of course. Always use the right tool for the job.

> So my new question here is (which probably I asked before but here is
> re-formed):
> What exactly terminal commands or program that those ppl use to read the
> list mails, maybe I'll get convienced and as I asked before I want to know
> so that I can use this list better because for me it's currently very hard
> to use.

I used to be a mutt user and it worked fine for moderate email volumes.
I've since switched to sup[1] and have found that allows me to organize
my email with far greater ease than mutt would although still suffers
from some major drawbacks. I am currently putting together some patches
for asynchronous subprocess support in vim so that it can be used as a
usable frontend for notmuch[1]. When I have finished this, I'll be
switching to notmuch, which in my opinion seems to be the ideal mail
management solution.

As I mentioned in my original reply, I use procmail and spamassassin for
mail filtering and have been quite happy with it.

> One thing to mention, under windows, for example to change something in the
> taskbar without mouse: press win-logo, press it again (it will be
> activated), press tab then tab till you reach the taskbar, then press the
> right-click-input, then choose from the menu, now tell me if this is could
> be easily done (by default) under Ubuntu? indeed Ubuntu was designed to be
> very user friendly that the design lack a support for the developers who
> lover keyboard, their only alternative is commands over terminal, yet there
> is not a default shortcut-key to open the terminal.

What exactly do you want to do? I only rarely find myself using the
mouse for window management. I use compiz and have it configured quite
nicely. That notwithstanding, one can perform pretty much anything using
nothing but Alt-Tab and Alt-Space. The lack of a default is intentional.
Users differ in their preferences and Ubuntu (in general) tries not to
impose any key bindings that aren't already widely accepted by users.
Keybindings are readily configurable, however, in the Keyboard Shortcuts
configuration applet.

- Ben