rebuilding apache with debugging symbols

David Hawthorne dsrthorne at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:23:40 UTC 2010

I'd like to recreate the build process for the apache2-mpm-prefork package so I can create an identical copy of it with debugging symbols, so I can debug a module I'm trying to write.  I couldn't find any logs online of the build process, the flags you use, or how the package itself is created.

Can someone point me to the build logs or instructions for configuring, building, and packagizing apache so I can take care of this myself?  I don't want to just build apache from scratch and then have to worry about conflicts, collisions, etc, arising from me not being familiar with the system.  I'd rather use the same methods you use for the package.  Plus this way I can attempt to build newer and older versions of apache2 to test with so when the package repo upgrades the default install version of apache2, I'll have already tested against it.

I'm new to ubuntu, so be gentle.

Thanks!