Troubleshooting boot problems

Joao Pinto joao.pinto at getdeb.net
Wed Apr 21 07:19:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net>wrote:

> Patrick Goetz <pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu> writes:
> > nothing.  Maybe /etc/init/networking.conf emits net-device-added?
>
> I guess it's emitted by upstart-udev-bridge
>
> > How can one find out for sure?
>
> I'd have a look at the upstart-udev-bridge source code

grep -r net-device-added upstart-0.6.5
upstart-0.6.5/NEWS:        start on net-device-added INTERFACE!=eth*
upstart-0.6.5/init/man/init.5:start on net-device-added INTERFACE!=lo

They show up on the manual as an example, they are not triggered from the
upstart source, random guesses don't really help. Even if they were
available from the source Patrick point is valid, you are not expected to
check source code to identify how the startup system works, if there are
events that can be emitted without being defined on an upstart .conf there
should be an easy way to identify it's purpose and it's emitter.

> Next, suppose I don't want to run ufw -- what's the procedure for
> > turning this service off?  Deleting the ufw.conf script from /etc/init?
> >   This seems terribly irreversible.
>
> Remove the package if you don't want it.--

The question was how to disable, not how to remove.

Thanks

--
João Luís Marques Pinto
GetDeb Team Leader