Save Icon modernization needed

Ryan Dwyer ryandwyer1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 21:44:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Joseph Miller <josephcmiller2 at gmail.com>wrote:

>> I have a slightly crazy idea. What if documents didn't have to be saved?
>> You could just start writing (or doing whatever you do in the particular
>> application), and the program magically remembers what you were doing in
>> case you closed the program, or it crashed. Of course, you want to give
>> documents names, so that should still be possible through some means.
>>

> I like this idea.  Someone get over to the kernel developers and start
> yelling at them for not having this done already (just kidding).  Saving is
> kind of stupid.

Clicking save is really not saving anything, it's just guaranteeing you're
not going to lose that data. Surely programs could handle this automatically
and you could remove the save button?

For example, when you open a new document you could have a sidebar come up
asking for a filename and path - not a dialog as that's too intrusive. The
program would autosave periodically regardless of whether they've entered a
filename or not. Closing the document would do a final save without asking.
That way there's less disrupting prompts.

And yeah, with undo you can revert back if you need to.

Save As would still be an option I guess.

-Ryan