Save Icon modernization needed

Joseph Miller josephcmiller2 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:47:10 UTC 2009

> I have a slightly crazy idea. What if documents didn't have to be saved?
> You could just start writing (or doing whatever you do in the particular
> application), and the program magically remembers what you were doing in
> case you closed the program, or it crashed. Of course, you want to give
> documents names, so that should still be possible through some means.

I like this idea.  Someone get over to the kernel developers and start
yelling at them for not having this done already (just kidding).  Saving is
kind of stupid.

Unfortunately, because of the way that hard disks save data, that may be
kind of weird.  It can't save continuously.  But then again, how much does
clicking "Save" really do anyways?  With all the modern filesystems with
journalling, nothing gets written to media when you click save anyways.
Maybe this would work without that much change in practice.

I use Google Docs all the time for work stuff so I can share it.  It took a
while to get used to not clicking "Save" all the time, but it makes the most
sense.

Saving is stupid if the application has unlimited undo or version history.
Maybe we need to be thinking more about versions/revisions in our file
system instead of files and copies.  Some filesystems already do this, but
we don't do it in desktop Linux boxes. If my filesystem could just keep
track of every revision of file that I have that would be pretty awesome.

-Joseph