Ubuntu Gaming Team

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Fri May 1 04:20:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 23:26 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Fri, 01 May 2009 03:32:37 +0100 Philip Wyett <philwyett at gmx.com> wrote:
> >> As explained, users shouldn't assign bugs, but a LP team that subscribes
> >> to bugs reported on games is a good idea probably (but maybe that
> >> already exists?  Reinhard should be able to tell.).
> >>

> >s/assign/subscribe OK, I meant subscribe to a team for bugs against
> >games. My apologies for the wording if it caused misunderstanding.
>
> It doesn't appear to me that you fully understand.  All a user needs to do
> is file the bug.  Bug squad and developers will (to the extent resources
> are available) will deal with it.  Myself, I'm a member of several teams
> that are subscribed bugs for many packages and subscribe to bugs for a
> number individual packages.  If I'm interested enouggh in a package to have
> random bugs for land in my inbox, I've already arranged for it. No need to
> subscribe or assign.
>
> If you have a proposed fix, then there are sponsorship teams that should be
> subscribed to bring the fix to the attention of developers who may upload
> it.
>
> Scott K

Thanks Scott. Why I was stuck on user intervention with
assigning/subscribing I am not sure. Lets try again...

A team that is subscribed bugs is what I was after, though maybe put
slightly wrongly as no user intervention is actually needed over and
above reporting a bug. What I would like for Ubuntu game package bugs
is:

- Create a 'games-swat' team for the triage of game bugs in Ubuntu.
- Create a 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
- All bugs reported against game packages in Ubuntu are subscribed to
  team and email sent to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list.
- People join the 'games-swat' team.
- People subscribe to the 'games-swat-bugs' mailing list which using
  filters will allow quick isolation of game bugs that a person can then
  look at and maybe assist with.

This is similar to how X Swat works and I feel would be a good way for
those 'volunteers' interested in helping with game bugs in Ubuntu to get
exactly what they want and nothing else for triage or fixing. How this
interacts with Debian is a further discussion but may increase the speed
of bugs reports over to Debian and possibly fixes. It may also encourage
people to develop directly as part of the joint Debian/Ubuntu
development team.

Hopefully this is clearer.

Regards

Phil