Best practice for reporting bugs

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 27 07:43:39 UTC 2009

Stewart Johnston [2009-03-27 11:09 +1100]:
> Slightly to one side, when Apport starts and walks me through the
> process of filing a bug, the first thing I do is nip off and search
> Launchpad for the same bug, then if I find one I cancel apport.
>
> Is this what I should be doing, or is it preferable to let apport finish
> and then mark the new bug as a duplicate?

When I encounter a crash, I usually let it collect data and upload,
and then check out Launchpad's proposed list of existing bugs. For
crash bugs, the hit rate is usually close to perfect. For bug reports
less so, of course, since we can't have a standard title there. For
those it probably makes sense to look beforehand.

Martin