managing choices

Patrick Freundt patrick.freundt at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 26 21:33:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM, Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Cost isn't only about money. It's also about the time people have to invest
> to pick the right choice.
[...]
> If you want to see people having fun in reducing complexity, watch out for
> projects like [...]

You are not removing complexity by reducing choices, at least not in
my humble opinion. And you are supporting my points by your own
examples. All the distributions you mentioned add to redundancy. And
to help you to make a choice there are websites like distrowatch. For
packages there are tools like debtags and adept. For people who are
fed up with projects that try to produce a jack of all trades device
there are minimalist approaches. For people who are easily lost there
is Ubuntu. And if somebody tries on another window manager or another
package management system, then its a good thing.

P.