Why Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Wed Aug 26 11:57:43 UTC 2009

Conrad Knauer wrote:

>> All documentation is useless to beginners
>>

> ???  And have you visited the forums?

So this is actually the only good and valid point in this, otherwise
exaggerated, rant.

I'm currently reviewing the download process on Ubuntu.com and been
looking into various help and support options that the user is presented
with. The non-paid choices basically are:

- Ubuntu documentation (help.ubuntu.com) – very information-rich
resource but very beginner-unfriendly (lots of technical jargon)
- Forums – lots of information noise, very difficult to locate the right
thread (or even find out where to start) to someone not already
accustomed with how forums work
- Mailing lists – the UI the user is presented with when subscribing can
be intimidating and does not provide a helpful "how to" information
- IRC – most users never heard of it and never used it. Very niche and
mysterious way of communication from average user's standpoint

I'd personally hesitate to offer any of the above to my wife, mum, or
anyone who I know is not deeply into "all things web". Would you? I'm
very curious what are the experiences of people here, would be great to
hear your stories and opinions on that.

Cheers,

Mat