Why Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 11:15:26 UTC 2009

My troll-detection senses are tingling on this, but in case you are
just frustrated user, let me reply...

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Jonathan Taylor<gringras at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu may be a very nice OS, but until the average person can use it,
> it will not amount to much.

The most difficult thing for 'average users' to pick up on when
learning how to use computers is the mouse (seriously; as in, holding
it steady when clicking).

Ubuntu is all about pointing and clicking; my 4 1/2 year old has been
using it since well before she started preschool.  My neighbor, a lady
around retirement age, has been using Ubuntu for a couple years now.

In terms of "using" Ubuntu, the average person can easily.

> Using Ubuntu is like buying a half built
> car. Then you have to guess at how to build the other half.

Assuming that your hardware is supported by free (libre) drivers,
Ubuntu should 'just work'.  You should not have to 'build' (compile)
anything yourself unless you *want* to...

> All documentation is useless to beginners

???  And have you visited the forums?

> and you can't even install most things without using the terminal.

??? Click "Add/Remove..."

> So, why is it sooo much easier to install things in Windows and Mac?

??? DEB files are exceptionally easy to install and if you're
installing them from a repository, its easier than Win or Mac.

> You'll never be more than a curiosity until this is fixed.

Could you provide us with the specific trouble you were having, rather
than making false generalizations?

CK