ISO Testing, before 1700 UTC Thursday

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Thu Sep 18 15:10:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 12:23 +1000, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> If you have any spare time, and feel like testing Ubuntu, the Ubuntu
> Release Team would appreciate more testers for the Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6
> ISOs.  The standard warnings about how it might kill your hard drive,
> etc, might apply - but no one's found them this far.  These images
> should be good to go, and have no known release critical bugs.
>
> The information, and downloads are at http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/.  There
> are links down the side of the page, showing other flavours, which also
> need testing.
>
> If you want to discuss this on irc, please do so in #ubuntu-testing on
> irc.ubuntu.com, or #ubuntu-bugs.

I've had no end of trouble booting the latest alpha's without adding
noapic live cdrom-detect/cdrom-hdparm=-d1 etc etc.  I'm wondering if it
wouldn't be a good idea to add a boot menu that has all this stuff added
automatically.  Call it maybe "Alternate boot with no DMA" or something
similar.

I can imagine many people getting frustrated trying to install and
having the kernel hang.  Also take the quiet and splash out.

BTW this has been on three different machines now, all different,
laptop, desktops etc.

Cheers