Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 15:59:03 UTC 2008

Timo Aaltonen a écrit :
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2008, Loïc Martin wrote:
>
>> I contacted upstream, and their answer can be found at:
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=167e8a330811070926n3024605m7bd7baa6e24bfedf%40mail.gmail.com
>>
>> Here is an extract:
>>> Hotplugg is a server-wide issue. It will be resolved for all input
>>> devices
>>> in Xorg, not just for Wacom devices.
>>
>> So what is Xorg going to do about wacom devices support, and how can we
>> make sure that, after one year, this support (or a distribution
>> solution) will at least make it into Jaunty?
>> Loïc
>
> Seems like he didn't understand your question. "Resolved for all input
> devices" means input-hotplug which is used as you know.. The problem is
> just that wacomdrv doesn't have the options or infrastructure to
> configure stylus/eraser/pad all in one go. HAL/input-hotplug/xserver
> can't do that for the driver.

Thanks for the correction. I thought input-hotplug problem was fixed in
recent Xorg (at least it works with Wacom devices using the .fdi file,
and it also works for joysticks but I can't remember having any problem
before). Does "resolved for all input devices" mean "working without an
.fdi file"? The 10-wacom.fdi that we have in Intrepid would be quite
usefull for storing configuration somewhere else than in xorg.conf
(which I hope we're done with, since editing a device properties
shouldn't let users risk hosing their Xorg), even though tools would
have to be created for that (it's xml). The solution adopted by wacomcpl
is just the creation of an .xinirtc with a few xsetwacom commands, and
that's not a perfect solution.

> Seems like some work is happening, but so far no comments from Ping:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20081009171824.GV5387%40cathedrallabs.org&forum_name=linuxwacom-devel

Thanks, I had skipped this email. I just replied to the linuxwacom list,
and pointed to the discussion occuring here and in ubuntu-x

Loïc