Xubuntu meeting summary

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 00:17:04 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

I'd first like to start off this e-mail by announcing the Xubuntu community
meeting was a *huge* success. We had roughly two dozen people take part
(including old, current, and new faces) and a number of other individuals
who sent in e-mails or left a quick IRC message to let us know that they
were unable to attend but would be following up with much interest. After
just under an hour of constructive discussion led by Jono Bacon and several
free form votes, I'm happy to present following mission statement for
Xubuntu:

    "To produce an easy to use distribution, based on Ubuntu, using Xfce as
the graphical desktop, with a focus on integration, usability and
performance, with a particular focus on low memory footprint. The
integration in Xubuntu is at a configuration level, a toolkit level, and
matching the underlying technology beneath the desktop in Ubuntu. Xubuntu
will be built and developed as part of the wider Ubuntu community, based
around the ideals and values of Ubuntu."

Although 100% consensus was not arrived at, all participating parties did
agree that it was an acceptable initial mission statement. It was decided
that Cody Somerville (cody-somerville) would utilize the above mission
statement to develop a strategy document which would describe how Xubuntu
would adhere to the agreed mission statement. After which, another meeting
would be called to discuss and find consensus on the new document.

Jono then asked the crowd if they felt Xubuntu needed a leader and, if so,
would it be Cody Somerville. He continued by asking if everyone would be
happy if Cody lead the project based upon the earlier agreed goals, and if
everyone felt that Xubuntu would REALLY KICK ARSE with Cody leading the
project. Besides Jonathon Carter pointing out that Xubuntu already kicked
arse (seconded by Vincent), everyone agreed that Xubuntu required a leader
and that they would be happy with Cody Somerville being that leader.

Finally, Jono asked Cody if he would lead the Xubuntu project. Cody agreed.

    19:40 <jono> in which case we have made three important steps forward
here:
    19:40 <jono> 1) picked a leader
    19:40 <jono> 2) agreed on a general mission statement of goals
    19:40 <jono> 3) agreed that cody-somerville will develop a strategy
based on that mission statement

The meeting was full of energy, motivation, and excitement.  You can read
the full log at
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/03/26/%23ubuntu-meeting.htmlbetween
hours 1900 and 2000 or at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Xubuntu_2008-03-26.

If you weren't able to make it out to this meeting, be sure to catch the
next one!  We will announce the meeting time once Cody has had a chance to
prepare the strategy document.  Until that time, please feel free to join us
in #xubuntu-devel.

Thanks,

Jim