making deals with M$

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 15:44:51 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 21:50 -0400, Mark Fink wrote:

> The problem I have with Canonical making deals with M$ is that it
> means that M$ gets to collect a tax from FLOSS. It also opens the door
> for Ubuntu itself to become even more tainted by M$ crap than it
> already is (MONO).
>
> Roy Schestowitz has a lot of things to say about how Miquel Icaza is
> trying to position MONO to destroy FLOSS and now with this codecs
> licensing from M$ it just makes me sick.
>
> Maybe Roy should make a site www.boycottubuntu.com too.

You know, those $'s don't make you sound more informed or more
intelligent.  They just make you look childish.  From where I'm sitting,
you're a zealous troll.  Someone made a GreaseMonkey script for
UbuntuForums to replace that kind of speech with something that sounds
intelligent.  I wish it would work for Evolution after this email.  If
this thread had taken place on the forums, I guarantee some of us mods
would be looking at you slant-eyed wondering about the ban-hammer.

I'm personally not a fan of Mono's dependence on Microsoft's whims, but
then Java's in pretty much the same boat with Sun, and it's still the
language I use the most.  Cross-platform frameworks really are a great
thing for FOSS--they make it so a user can get used to something on
Windows or OSX before switching to Linux so it's not such a drastic
change.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo