Did we really release 8.04?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:57:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Emmet Hikory <persia at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
>> Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>>>
>>> you know that this is highly discouraged since it wont catch teh special
>>> cases update-manager has functions for ?
>>
>> I consider that a bug.  Why are conflicts only marked in
>> update-manager instead of in the packages conflicts list?  That was
>> the case with the newer-kernel v. EVMS bug if you upgraded from Dapper
>> through to Gutsy (and I don't mean skipping releases, just doing lots
>> of dist-upgrades over the years).  What exactly are you supposed to do
>> on a system without X?  Just let it break?  The issues and options
>> should come through at the command line level and just bubble up
>> through to the GUI.
>
>    This isn't a CLI vs. GUI issue, it's that some upgrade cases don't
> work well for special reasons.  Some of these are difficult to encode
> in terms of provides, conflicts, and replaces, and some are even
> impossible.  Upgrade Manager (which also has a cli client) has
> information about these special cases that allow the upgrade to
> continue.  While it remains a goal to avoid these situations, it can
> be difficult due to the possible complexity of future transitions.
> Upgrade manager works around this by downloading a hints file during
> the upgrade process to help determine which choice apt should take
> when confronted with a confusing transition (e.g. mesa & libgl) or to
> ensure that obsolete packages with implications on other packages
> (e.g. python2.3) are safely removed.

The GUI update manager has a tendency to break/crash, from what I've
noticed (that's how I learned about that bug, I had to redo the
upgrade from the command line when the GUI one locked up).  Is the CLI
one more robust?  Is it documented in the "recommended ways to
upgrade" that if the GUI one fails, there's a CLI one you can try?  I
don't recall seeing it anywhere on the wiki.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169