Did we really release 8.04?

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Jul 7 11:18:27 UTC 2008

Am 07.07.2008 um 11:06 schrieb Sebastian Breier:

> The problem is that even with all the alpha/beta/rc testing
> available to
> Ubuntu, the most tests are only done when the release is out.

Yes, a lot of alpha-beta-sonstewas Releases are usually available,
but also yes, they are well hidden from the interested person.

Right now I tried to find downloads and/or upgrade instructions for
the next release, but it's almost impossible to find them beginning
at the main site. There is a menu Community -> Get Involved, but no
mention of testing alphas there. The only way to find the download
for the next release was to search for "Intrepid", a name I found on
news sites, but not anywhere on ubuntu.com.

> So, better to release and fix afterwards... *really* focussing on the
> bugfixing though, as has been done, *not* focussing on the next
> release
> immediately.

Yes, this is one possible approach. Another approach I could see
would be to make beta testing more prominent. I mean, there are many
people out there eager to install the all newest thing, to try it and
to test it. What better could an interested in "getting involved" do
but to install the next beta or RC? I'd even go as far as putting
betas and release candidates right on the standard download page,
right below the current stable release.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/