Hardy Alpha-2 notes

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Sun Jan 6 22:38:17 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008 06:18:08 Richard Mancusi wrote:
>    I have one application (non-opensource) that will not install
>    with sudo.  You must logon as administrator.  I checked the
>    box to "Allow local system administrator login"  And via
>    System/Administration/Users and Groups set a password,
>    and even checked all the boxes in User Privileges.  However
>    GDM will not allow the logon.  Also note that the boxes I
>    checked in User Privileges are unchecked if you look again.
>    Display problem or real? - I don't know.g:

edit gdm.conf, and allow root:
sudo nano /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

[security]
# Allow root to login.  It makes sense to turn this off for kiosk use, when
# you want to minimize the possibility of break in.
AllowRoot=true

>    Note: Although this application will not install even with su -
>    I tried simply entering in a terminal su - with the correct
>    password and the reply is "su: Authentication failure"
>    sudo does work as expected.

Are you sure you used the root password and not the admin user? you can make sure by choosing a new pass for root, by doing
#sudo passwd

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-ยดยด)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net