Hardy Alpha-2 notes

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 06:18:08 UTC 2008

I had a successful Alpha-1 installation.  Then did a clean install
of Alpha-2 and ran into a few problems not encountered with
Alpha-1.  It probably makes the most sense to simply wait for
Alpha-3 next week and do a clean install.  Just in case there
is some value - I will mention a couple of the problems that I
don't find in the online bug listings.  I will let you know if the
problems persist with Alpha-3.  I suspect that these are not
real reportable bugs but rather localized - we shall see.

Computer is and old Thinkpad T41 used for backup and testing.

1. Evening backup to the T41 - data files are deleted in Nautilus
   then new data is pushed to it via ssh from a Ubuntu 7.04
   computer.  Data is approximately 10,000 files, 1.5GB.  All
   seems to work fine but approx 2 minutes after completion the
   following error appears:

Application problem
Sorry, the program "identify" closed unexpectedly

2. Initial install of Alpha-2 went fine except it didn't create a
   resolv.conf file.  System/Administration/Network gui did
   not work.  It opens, accepts data but does not seem to
   communicate/update your requests to the O.S.  Problem
   solved by manually creating the resolv.conf file.

3. Another example of where the gui doesn't communicate
   with the O.S.  System/Administration/Login Window/Security

   I have one application (non-opensource) that will not install
   with sudo.  You must logon as administrator.  I checked the
   box to "Allow local system administrator login"  And via
   System/Administration/Users and Groups set a password,
   and even checked all the boxes in User Privileges.  However
   GDM will not allow the logon.  Also note that the boxes I
   checked in User Privileges are unchecked if you look again.
   Display problem or real? - I don't know.

   Note: Although this application will not install even with su -
   I tried simply entering in a terminal su - with the correct
   password and the reply is "su: Authentication failure"
   sudo does work as expected.

-rich