Latest round of updates disabling compuz

Christian Csar cacsar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 05:02:13 UTC 2008

So I am running Hardy x86_64 on a Dell D830 with an nvidia graphics
card, and latest round of updates this evening, 2/16 seem to have caused
compiz and/or open Gl to stop working.
As primitive diagnostics here is the output from trying to start compiz
from a virtual terminal.

Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0429 (rev a1) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

 From alien-arena (chosen as an OpenGL program) I get the following

ref_gl version: GL 0.01
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting fullscreen mode 8: 1280 1024
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Depth visual, Stencil Buffered
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Depth visual
ref_gl::R_SetMode() - invalid mode
Initializing OpenGL display
...setting mode 3: 640 480
Using XFree86-VidModeExtension Version 2.2
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Depth visual, Stencil Buffered
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered, Depth visual
ref_gl::R_SetMode() - could not revert to safe mode
ref_gl::R_Init() - could not R_SetMode()
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't initialize renderer!

Admittedly I do not have GLX in my xorg.conf anywhere, but this has not
seemed to be necessary. I do have nvidia-glx-new installed.

Another thing which was slightly odd was that X restarted itself,
logging me out, without any warning, after finishing updating.

My apologies if similar information has already reached the list, but
the archive did not appear to have it yet.

Christian