Too many icons in the Ubuntu menus?‏ (repost)

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Feb 12 00:04:01 UTC 2008

My personal opinion is that visual aids, such as launcher icons, are a
necessity. Removing them would be a step in the wrong direction.

I do I agree that icons design must be improved in order for them to
serve their purpose right from the start (when the user has not yet made
the association between icon and application).

Since we are on this subject, I find menus a thing of the past.
Especially menus with deep levels of hierarchy. Also using text to
identify an application/task/object is unintuitive and 'slow'. In real
life we see a chair (for instance) and we know it's a chair. We don't
need a little label there telling us it's a chair ;) It can be more
tricky of course when dealing with 'actions' or abstract definitions.
Text is good for 'calling' a task/application, semantic search, like
desk-bar.

Again, that's my humble opinion. It probably is a left/right brain
hemisphere thing :)

regards,
Ioannis