Miro (Re: New Programs for Hardy?)

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:43:32 UTC 2008

I've done it on 192MB.  It wasn't pretty (mostly because the open source ATI
drivers are the only thing that supports the Rage II, and only at 800x600
when the card can do up to 102x768....seriously, Ubuntu was *not* meant for
800x600 systems), but it was functional.  That one's around 300MHz, I
think.  It's a Pentium 2.

On Feb 9, 2008 3:31 PM, Evan <eapache at gmail.com> wrote:

> 700Mhz, 500Mhz? OK, I cede! Apparently my 10-year old desktop is one of
> the faster computers around :P It does look like 256MB ram is the lowest
> you'll see running vanilla Ubuntu though. My setup only takes 50MB on a
> fresh boot, but I know that vanilla Ubuntu takes around 150MB, so including
> Miro would significantly boost the system requirements.
>

> Just for kicks, I downloaded and installed the latest version from the
> miro repos (1.1.2). Upon running, it crashed because I don't have firefox
> installed (opera is faster). I'll install firefox and get back on how well
> it works, but this is something that should be fixed in the packaging: miro
> depends on firefox.
>

> On 2/9/08, Greg K Nicholson <greg at gkn.me.uk> wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 13:09 -0500, Evan wrote:
> > > I'm typing this on a P3 1Ghz with 256MB of ram. Ubuntu runs moderately
> > > slowly but easily survivable.

> > > I'd say that this is about the lowest-end pc you'll find normal Ubuntu
> > > installed on though.
> >

> > 1 GHz? Luxury! I run Ubuntu on a ~700-MHz Athlon, albeit with 376.5 MB
> > of memory.
> >
> > Miro doesn't work, but I think that's the dodgy Nvidia driver (the
> > open-source one) rather than the slow processor.
> >

> > --

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683