Drag Window from anywhere in Metacity?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:16:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt at canonical.com> wrote:

> Dylan McCall wrote on 22/08/08 17:12:
>>
>> I recently noticed a really awesome feature in Matchbox. When it is set
>> to have windows in free mode (rather than fixed), one can drag those
>> windows from /anywhere/. As long as the widget being dragged does not
>> handle the necessary click events itself (eg: Is a button, text box,
>> scroll bar, etc), the event is handled by Matchbox and used to drag the
>> window. I found that very smooth and very smart. It is quite a unique
>> feature in the world of operating systems.
>
> All brushed-metal windows in Mac OS had this behavior, starting with
> QuickTime Player 4.0 in 1999 and iTunes in 2001. As of Mac OS X 10.5
> (which abolished brushed-metal windows), it is standard behavior for all
> windows.

Brushed metal windows were Carbon, I think.  I'm also pretty sure what
you're saying of Cocoa is not true though.  Just got a Mac user nearby
to demonstrate it, actually.   You have to click in the titlebar to
move the window.  Not having Alt-Click-and-move-from-anywhere is one
of my big complaints about Apple's window manager.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169